Bicentennial Minutes April - June

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Bicentennial LogoOn this day in history...

Greensboro Public Library and Historical Museum offer interesting facts to familiarize you with our rich history. From big occasions to everyday occurrences, you'll find a daily dose of times gone by. Enjoy these, and if you have an opportunity to use them on your own project, please credit the Library and Museum as your source. 

April 1, 1903

A Greensboro YWCA (Young Women’s Christian Association) has its beginnings at a meeting at West Market Street Methodist Church. Local colleges have had YWCAs since 1892, and students at Greensboro College and Woman’s College have decided that it is time to organize a Y which includes young business women. Greensboro’s YWCA will get its start in two rented rooms in the Southern Life and Trust Building on East Market Street and finally move to its own building on North Davie Street in 1921.

April 2, 1936

A tornado strikes without warning from the southwest at about 7:15 pm and moves along West Lee, McAdoo, and Gorrell streets. The City is in total darkness amid heavy rain, as policemen, firemen, Boy Scouts, and the National Guard rush into the devastated area to help as best they can. The storm will leave 13 people dead and 500 without homes.

April 3, 2005

First Horizon Park hosts its first game, a match between the minor league Greensboro Grasshoppers team and its major league opponents, the Florida Marlins. About 8,540 fans see the Marlins defeat the Hoppers by a score of 21 to 2, but with such a wonderful new facility in Greensboro, who really cares about the score? In 2008, the stadium receives a new name, NewBridge Bank Park.

April 3, 2006

Jefferson-Pilot Corporation merges with Lincoln Financial, bringing an end to the familiar name of the insurance company so closely linked with Greensboro’s history. While some employees are being laid off, Lincoln will hopefully be able to replace these jobs in due time. The Jefferson-Pilot Building will continue to display a sign showing time and temperature.

April 4, 1925

The community is shocked by the sudden death of James B. Dudley, president of A&T. In 1896, he was unanimously elected as A&T’s second president, although he had not even applied for the job. At that time, the college had only two buildings and 58 students. He expanded the curriculum, established a summer school and got the school’s finances under control, and the college grew and prospered under his leadership.

April 5, 2001

The Army Corps of Engineers issues a permit for the Randleman Dam project, an idea that local leaders have seriously discussed for almost 75 years. Mayor Keith Holliday says, “It’s a great day for our City,” adding that he believes many businesses have been reluctant to move to Greensboro because of its water shortages. While Greensboro will still need to be cautious about its water usage, the reservoir to be formed by the dam should greatly improve the City’s water supply situation.

April 6, 1954

In baseball news, the Greensboro Patriots lose to the New York Yankees 7 to 2 in an exhibition game. The score might have been even more in the Yankees’ favor if three members of their team had not ended up in the hospital. However, the Patriots don’t need to be ashamed. The Yankees have won the world championship five times!

April 7, 1970

President Richard Nixon presents the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously to private first class Phill McDonald for his heroism during the Vietnam War. Last June he was killed while attempting to save the other men in his platoon. McDonald lived in Greensboro for nine years while working at the Brown cedar plant. His family donated the medal to the Historical Museum.

April 8, 1969

About 52,520 residents are eligible to vote in Greensboro’s 29 precincts. By November
2006, the number will more than triple, with167,662 eligible voters and 85 precincts.

April 8, 1921

The Laundry Queen Electric Washer can, according to an advertisement, wash one load of clothes while wringing out another load, making it twice as fast as other washing machines. The high cost of hiring a washwoman makes the electric washer economical. The cost is less than five cents a load, and the ad even offers a free trial on the washer!

April 9, 1936

Local individuals and businesses have generously donated money for disaster relief following the tornado that struck Greensboro on April 2. The Red Cross announces that the local fund has reached $52,437. With the area in the depths of the Depression, this shows an unusual spirit among our residents.

April 10, 1976

Greensboro children, eager to fill their baskets with colorful eggs, gather at Latham Park for the City’s 26th annual Easter Egg Hunt. Sponsors of the event are the Greensboro Junior Woman’s Club, Greensboro Recreation Department, and the Friendly Civitan’s Breakfast Club.

April 11, 1865

Confederate president Jefferson Davis and his cabinet arrive in Greensboro on their retreat from Richmond. Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant two days ago, and Davis will meet with his generals to decide whether to attempt to continue the war. He will reluctantly agree to a conference between the Confederacy’s General Joseph E. Johnston and the Union’s Major-General William T. Sherman. Johnston will surrender on April 26 at what is now the Bennett Place State Historic Site near Durham.

April 12, 2008

This is Heritage Festival weekend, and Greensboro will celebrate today and tomorrow with a downtown street festival, including heritage arts and crafts, vintage games, historical performances, music, vintage cars, and activities for children.

April 14, 1934

The Rachel Caldwell Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution organizes in Greensboro. The chapter chooses the name of the wife of Dr. David Caldwell, a prominent minister, physician, teacher and patriot of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Someone said that “Dr. Caldwell made the scholars, but Mrs. Caldwell made the preachers.” During the Revolutionary War British soldiers took over the Caldwell home, forcing Rachel and her eight children to spend two cold days and nights in the smokehouse, with no food except a few dried peaches that Rachel had in her pockets. She inspired soldiers and civilians to stand against the British and attended the wounded soldiers after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

April 15, 1846

Classes begin at Greensboro Female College, with 87 students enrolled. It was chartered in 1838, the oldest state-chartered woman’s college in North Carolina and second oldest state-chartered woman’s college in the South. Many of its students come from other southern states. Eventually the college will accept male students and become known simply as Greensboro College.

April 15, 1967

East White Oak Community Center launches a fundraising drive. In the early 20th century, Cone Mills founded the East White Oak Community for African Americans who worked at the Revolution, Proximity and White Oak plants. In 1955, when Cone sold the YMCA building at White Oak, Truman
Gant, a neighborhood resident, headed a successful drive to buy the building for a community center.

April 16, 1956

P. Lorillard Co.’s Greensboro manufacturing plant, called the world’s most modern cigarette factory, produces Old Gold cigarettes for the first time. Lorillard’s popular Old Gold blend has become a family of products, including king size and filter cigarettes.

April 17, 1930

The Junior Woman’s Club is chartered, with Miss Katherine Shenk as president.As the years pass, the club, which provides volunteer opportunities for women between the ages of 21 and 45, will maintain a wide variety of projects for the betterment of the community, including a partnership with the Women’s Hospital. In 2006, the club’s members will log more than 2,000 hours of service and donate over $20,000 to the community.

April 18, 1861

The local newspaper, the Greensboro Patriot, regretfully announces that war between the northern and southern parts of the United States has begun. Forty-five members of the Guilford Grays, one of the local military units, leave Greensboro by train to fight for the Confederacy.

April 18, 1979

The Greensboro Record announces that a Greensboro basketball team will be one of twelve teams representing the United States in the International Special Olympics to be held in August at Brockport, New York. Players will come from McIver School and from the Parks and Recreation Department’s City team. 

April 19, 1962

The Guilford Musical Arts Camp, organized by Sheldon Morgenstern, a faculty member at Guilford College, enrolls 75 students. From this small but promising beginning will come the Eastern Music Festival, an important part of the summer season in Greensboro, holding a number of classes and performances each year.

April 20, 1905

Does your son need some new clothes? Harry-Belk Brothers is selling boys’ corduroy pants at 25 cents a pair.

April 21, 1960

The sit-in movement progresses from Woolworth’s lunch counter to the counter at the nearby Kress store. Forty-five students are arrested for trespassing and later released without bail.  Among those arrested are Ezell Blair Jr., Joseph McNeil, David Richmond, and two white girls from Bennett College.

April 22, 1969

The Greensboro Record’s “Help Wanted” section includes an advertisement for draftsmen at $6,000 a year for a trainee and $10,000 for a person with one to three years of experience. These salaries compare favorably with those of a number of advertised jobs in other fields. By 2008, median salaries for draftsmen will range from the high thirties to the mid-forties, depending on the type of drafting.

April 23, 1941

The help wanted ads are divided between “Help wanted—male” and “Help wanted—female.” One employer even specifies that the applicant be a young married man. Telephone operators must be female, and a book bindery seeks girls for its jobs. One laundry wants girls, while another advertises for men.

April 24, 1930

The Greensboro Patriots play against Winston-Salem’s team in the first professional baseball game at War Memorial Stadium. The president of the Piedmont League proudly announces, “We now have the most wonderful ball ground in the state.” General admission is 50 cents a ticket, with box seats for $1.

April 25, 1950

The Friends of the Library organizes. This group will serve the public library much as a PTA helps a school, assisting with needs not covered by public funds. It will also help to encourage public interest in the library. Early projects include the purchase of new library furniture and paying for the microfilming of Greensboro newspapers. Later projects will include funding library programs.

April 25, 1908

Edward R. Murrow is born in Guilford County near Greensboro. Although his family will move to Washington State in a few years, Greensboro will always be proud of its native son, who will become a famous radio and TV journalist especially known for his broadcasts from London during World War II.

April 26, 1906

St. Leo’s Hospital, named for an early pope, is dedicated. Bishop Leo Haid pontificates at the mass held in the hospital’s chapel, where a large crowd attends. The first patient is said to be a drifter who received care and baptism before dying of pneumonia.

April 27, 1991

At its 10th annual Beautillion Militaire Ball, held in the Smith High School auditorium, the Greensboro Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity presents thirteen young men. All hope to attend college; the fraternity selected them for their academic excellence and participation in extracurricular activities. The focus of the program is preparing the students for the transition to college through workshops and seminars.

April 28, 2007

The Greensboro Running Club, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, A&T University, and the United Way hold the first annual Dr. Ronald E. McNair Memorial 5K Run/Walk to honor the A&T graduate and astronaut who died in 1986 in the explosion of the Challenger space shuttle. Some of the proceeds from the race will go to a United Way program, called Thriving at 3, that helps prepare at-risk preschool children for kindergarten. 

April 29, 1939

The Richardson Civic Center opens in the building which will later become the Greensboro Historical Museum. It will house the Museum, the Public Library, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Art Center, and other organizations. Mrs. Lunsford Richardson and her daughters bought the building from the First Presbyterian Church and donated it to the City.

April 30, 1934

Due to the Depression, times are hard in Greensboro. More than 6,400 people are living on local emergency relief. Based on Greensboro’s population figures in the 1930 and 1940 censuses, 11 percent to 12 percent of Greensboro residents require this assistance in 1934.

May 1, 1891

About fifty local Quakers meet in Benbow Hall on South Elm Street to organize a Greensboro Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends. The group will eventually become known as First Friends Meeting. “Meeting” is the Quaker term for what most Christian denominations would call a church.

May 2, 2008

This weekend, Greensboro will hold a Faith Community Pew Exchange. Everyone will have the opportunity to visit participating houses of worship to learn about other faiths.

May 3, 1965

Greensboro adopts an official flower, the red camellia japonica. Three of these plants, sent from England, arrived in Greensboro in 1893 and have survived cold, heat, and drought.

May 3, 1891

Grace Methodist Protestant Church organizes today with 22 charter members and a church building already under construction on E. Lee Street.  Rev. J. R. Ball is acting as spiritual leader until a regular pastor can be appointed. The name “Grace” will be adopted in the spring of 1892 when the first regular pastor, Rev. W. F. Ohrum, arrives.

May 4, 1927

L. Richardson Memorial Hospital admits its first patient. The facility, an African American hospital, has 60 beds and four bassinets. It is dedicated to the care of the sick and to health education for the community.

May 5, 1985

The Garden Club of North Carolina celebrates its 60-year Jubilee at the Convention Center of the Holiday Inn-Four Seasons. Garden clubs became important in Greensboro around 1930. During those early years, members included housewives, teachers, and businesswomen and ranged in age from the early 20s to the late 70s. During the Depression, dues had to be low so that no woman would be turned away for lack of money. 

May 6, 1858

Greensboro Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1850, proudly announces that it has $15,704.58 cash on hand. The company states that it pays all losses promptly and is the company which property owners should choose. Greensboro will eventually become known as an insurance center, nicknamed “The Hartford of the South.”

May 7, 1975

Dr. Peter Paul Fuchs becomes the permanent director of the Greensboro Symphony. Four candidates competed for the post, each conducting one concert to show his qualifications. Fuchs was born and educated in Vienna and was on the faculty at Louisiana State University for 25 years and associated with the Metropolitan Opera for 14 years.

May 8, 1953

Seven colleges create a new athletic league, the Atlantic Coast Conference. These schools, Clemson, Duke, Maryland, Wake Forest, UNC, NC State, and the University of South Carolina, have withdrawn from the Southern Conference. While fans have suggested many names for the new conference, including Dixie, Tobacco, and the Southern Seven, Duke’s Eddie Cameron suggests the chosen name, which the group accepts unanimously.

May 9, 1972

A. H. Peeler Community Center, at the corner of Phillips and Sykes Avenues, is dedicated. It is named after the first African American member of the Parks and Recreation Commission, who also served as principal of Price School.

May 10, 1958

Greensboro holds the final parade of the sesquicentennial celebration of the 150th anniversary of the City. Dignitaries, marching units, and a dozen bands participate. A large crowd gathers along Greene Street and Elm Street to watch the hour-long procession of old settlers, ancient vehicles and beauty queens.

May 11, 1934

Money for the new Greensboro Recreation Department is scarce. Its payroll totals $20, up from $17.50 last week. Oka T. Hester, who will some day become department director and have a park named for him, receives only 25¢ per hour. 

May 12, 1916

Do you need some cough syrup? An ad in the Greensboro Patriot newspaper lists the 12 ingredients, including pine tar, sugar, peppermint, and honey, needed to concoct a pleasant-tasting syrup that will give quick relief. However, it will be more convenient, the advertisement says, to buy a 25-cent bottle of Dr. Bell’s Pine-Tar-Honey from a drugstore.

May 13, 1848

For the first time in years, Greensboro residents can have their portraits painted, as a Mr. Gregory, an experienced painter, sets up his studio at Gott’s Hotel. Also in 1848, in rooms at Gott’s hotel, Alexander Starrett will open a business for a relatively new form of portrait-making, photography.

May 14, 1980

This month, there will be nearly 3,400 new college graduates in the Greensboro area, holding degrees from N.C. A&T, Greensboro College, Bennett College, UNCG and High Point College.  Fine spring weather makes these graduations unusually happy occasions.

May 15, 1809

Greensborough, built to serve as the county seat for Guilford County, begins officially serving as the seat of government. The courthouse and jail have been completed. Court days will not only be the occasion for the administration of justice; they will be a time for everyone to have fun, with fiddles and banjos playing and hearty food available.

May 16, 1993

The Tour DuPont concludes in Greensboro after 11 days and over 1000 miles of hard bicycle riding. Raul Alcala, a Mexican pro, wins after continuous challenges from 21-year-old Lance Armstrong. The public parking deck at Greene and Bellemeade is the best place for spectators to view the race’s finish line.

May 17, 1808

The Guilford County commissioners lay off a plan for the new county seat, which will later be named Greensborough. This includes 44 lots, priced from $4.80 to $151, depending on each lot’s distance from the courthouse. The plan calls for the courthouse to be built at the intersection of the four major streets, simply named North, South, East, and West Streets, and the property will be sold at a public auction. The entire village will extend only two blocks in each direction from Courthouse Square.

May 18, 1937

The Pilot Club, a woman’s club with the purpose of helping with “every worthwhile enterprize of the community,” receives its charter at a banquet at the King Cotton Hotel. The banquet tables are decorated in the club’s colors, green and gold.

May 19, 1809

The court held previously in Martinville meets for the first time in the courthouse
in Greensborough, the new county seat. Martinville is in the area where the Battle
of Guilford Courthouse took place. Residents of the southern and eastern parts of
the county are pleased to have the courthouse in a central location.

May 20, 1971

Bryan Park is dedicated. The speaker at the event, Rep. Richardson Preyer, remarks that Joseph and Kathleen Bryan should know how a pancake feels when the syrup is poured over it.  The Bryans, noted for their philanthropic interests, often receive lavish praise.

May 21, 1969

Twenty-seven Dudley High School students are suspended from school and  Mayor Jack Elam asks for National Guard assistance, as protests over an election at the school reach a climax. The controversy began on May 1, when the elections committee excluded Claude Barnes from the ballot for student council president because of his activities in youth groups considered to be militant. The protest will spread to the A&T campus and eventually result in the death of student Willie Grimes by an unknown sniper. 

May 22, 1997

Maurice DeBerry becomes the first African American board chairman of the Greensboro Chapter of the American Red Cross. DeBerry works for United Guaranty.

May 22, 1994

The Buddhist temple opens, giving Greensboro’s Vietnamese community of about 2000 people a place to worship. The building, located near South Holden Road, may be plain, but it is decorated with bowls of fruit, colored lights, and an image of a smiling Buddha. The opening of the temple is an important step for the Vietnamese worshippers.

May 23, 1903

S. H. Kress, a five and ten cent store, opens at 312 S. Elm Street. In 1930 it will move to a beautiful new building at 212 S. Elm.

May 24, 2003

The Wrangler Jeans-McDonald’s Youth Soccer Tournament officially begins at 8 am today on a set of very soggy playing fields spread around the Triad. Depending on leaf blowers and squeegees to get at least some moisture off the grass, and cell phones to pass the word when a field is just too wet to use, organizers use an army of volunteers to make the event a success.

May 25, 2000

A windstorm creates such havoc that schools are closed and children are sent home. Downed trees smash into cars and homes, and utility poles snap, as parts of the city lose electric power. Gusts are clocked at 81.8 miles per hour through Guilford and Alamance counties. Emergency officials claim it is the worst storm of its kind in 20 years.

May 26, 1926

The Junior League, a woman’s club, is accepted into the Association of Junior Leagues. It was formerly called the Greensboro Charity League. Members pledge to engage in the social, economic, educational, cultural and civic betterment of the community and to make efficient use of their volunteer service. The League funded the first director for the Historical Museum and began the Natural Science Center.

May 27, 1888

The Market House burns, and the fire quickly spreads to the town hall. While the fire company succeeds in saving the buildings near the Market, future historians will mourn the destruction of the city’s record books. The Greensboro North State, a local newspaper, concludes that the fire is undoubtedly the result of arson. 

May 28, 1902

Lucy Robertson becomes the first woman president of Greensboro College. She will serve in that capacity for about 11 years, and during her administration, the college will grant its first bachelor’s degree. As of January 2008, no other woman has served as Greensboro College president.

May 29, 1885

The State Fruit Growers Association sponsors a very successful fruit and flowers show at Benbow Hall. Mr. J. Van Lindley, long identified with fruit growing in the county, suggested the event, which features a great variety of exhibits, including strawberries as big as hen eggs.

May 30, 1992

Las Amigas, Inc. presents eight young women during its 25th annual fundraiser, the Vals Purez Hovenez Ball, held at the Hayes Taylor YMCA. Eight women organized the local chapter of this service organization in 1967. The group assists Greensboro youth and their families in various ways, including scholarships.

May 31, 1915

St. Leo’s Hospital has always helped patients, even those unable to pay. Over the past nine years, the hospital has cared for almost 100 charity patients from Greensboro each year. A delegation of doctors and other citizens is asking that the city pay the expenses of these charity patients.

June 1, 1926

Now that Greensboro has a population of about 50,000 people, its volunteer fire department is no longer adequate. The city’s Fire Department becomes an “all-paid” department, with its 47 men organized into eight companies and headed by Captain Frank Shaw.

June 2, 1980

A carton of dozen Grade-A Large eggs is selling for 56 cents. By 2008, the cost of a carton will be about $2.50. City Motors offers a jeep for $5,395, with a down payment of $555 and 48 payments of $125 each.

June 3, 1970

After 77 years of operation, the University Elementary School on Spring Garden Street closes its doors. The school, called simply Curry School for many years, was run by UNCG. It was named for Jabez Lamar Curry, a noted college president, lawyer, minister, U. S. ambassador, and president of the Conference for Education in the South. Curry’s high school closed in 1969.

June 4, 1964

A naturalization ceremony at District Court is a major event for 37 new citizens, with a speech by UNCG Chancellor Dr. Otis Singletary and gifts of Bibles, copies of the Declaration of Independence, and miniature flags. The Magnolia Garden Club has made red, white and blue corsages for the ceremony.

June 5, 1956

It’s the end of an era, as Greensboro’s last electric trolley completes its run from White Oak to Glenwood at midnight. Electric trolley service began in Greensboro in 1902.

June 5, 1925

A noted rabbi, Dr. David Marx of Atlanta, formally dedicates the new Temple Emanuel on North Greene Street overlooking Fisher Park. Hobart Upjohn, a famous architect, designed the building. This congregation organized in 1907, with its first temple located on East Lee Street, and broke tradition by admitting women into full membership in 1923. In 2002, the congregation will move to its new building on Jefferson Road but will still use the Greene Street location for services and special functions.

June 6, 1942

Greensboro has ordered 13 large electric sirens for use in warning the community of enemy air raids. These will take the place of the whistles earlier used. During a raid, citizens must leave phone lines open for emergencies, and people must park their cars to leave the streets clear for emergency vehicles. In case of a test, the public will receive notification in advance.

June 7, 1998

Greensboro’s Governmental Plaza is now officially known as the Phill G. McDonald Plaza. During the Vietnam War, McDonald gave his life to save the men of his platoon and posthumously received the Congressional Medal of Honor. This is America’s highest award to an individual member of the Armed Services, given for courage in action against an enemy force.

June 8, 1955

Eleanor Roosevelt arrives by plane to speak on “America’s Role in World Affairs” at New Garden Friends Meeting House. The occasion is the annual Carolina Institute of International Relations. Mrs. Roosevelt can speak authoritatively on the subject, since she is chairman of the Board of Governors of the American Association for the United Nations. 

June 9, 1899

For the first time, Greensboro now has a Southern Railway passenger depot, located at 400 South Elm Street. In later years, the building will be renovated, changing its appearance, and in 1927 a more impressive depot on East Washington Street will replace it, but the building still stands.

June 10, 1829

Greensboro’s leaders appoint two local officials to take a census and to assess the real estate within the town’s limits. It will show that Greensboro has 369 white residents, 26 free blacks, and 96 slaves. All Greensboro real estate is valued at $53,495.

June 11, 1902

The Greensboro Electric Company begins electric trolley service. Eventually, this will extend from East Market Street to Lindley Park and from South Greensboro to White Oak Mill, making it possible for residents to take recreational trips to the park and for mill workers to come into the City.

June 12, 1980

The Autism and Adolescence Conference opens today.

June 12, 1980

The City Council adopts the 1980-81 city budget prepared by City Manager Tom Osborne. The $66.8 million budget is more than 10 percent higher than the previous budget. The budget will continue to increase; by 2007-08, it is $392,554,440.

June 13, 1872

Seventeen letters are waiting for residents to pick them up at the Post Office. Since the postal service does not hire carriers to deliver mail to Greensboro’s homes and businesses, residents can get their mail only by visiting the Post Office. The first city carriers will begin their rounds in 1890.

June 13, 1942

The Greensboro Record describes the new control center located “somewhere in Greensboro.” The volunteers manning the center dare not disclose its location even to their closest relatives. In the event of an enemy raid, the army information center in Raleigh will alert the Greensboro volunteers, speaking in a secret code; then Greensboro’s police, ambulances, medical personnel, firemen, and other personnel can spring into action.

June 14, 1942

The City Council authorizes the mayor to proclaim rules for a timeout of businesses from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. until the war is over. Dimming the lights will reduce the ability of enemy aircraft to identify targets.

June 15, 1872

The Conservative Party holds its local nominating convention. This party began as a loosely organized political organization in North Carolina during the Civil War and came into power in the 1870 legislative elections. It impeached Governor Holden for pursuing the Ku Klux Klan, and it cut back on spending, including the support of education. In 1876, it will become the Democratic Party of North Carolina.

June 15, 1985

The News and Record announces an Incredibly Awful, Sublimely Bad Joke Contest. The first winner will be: A man enters a diner and orders: “Could I have a plate of concrete, please?” “I’m sorry,” says the waitress, “We don’t serve concrete.” “Well,” he replies, “I guess I’ll have to go eat up the street.” The second winner is: “What did the plow say to the tractor? Pull me closer, John Deere.”  

June 16, 1947

An A&P Super Market opens at 221 Commerce Place, built at the site of the former store which was destroyed by fire last summer.  Featured are a candy department, refrigerated produce section, refrigerated meat, fish and poultry departments, a self-service deli, and eight checkout stations.

June 17, 1967

For the next three days, the Carolina Peacemaker, a weekly newspaper focusing on African Americans, is offering a special price, only $2.50 for a yearly subscription. Then the price will return to $4.00 per year. If you haven’t yet seen this newspaper, which began publication in April, this is your chance! (By 2008, the annual subscription rate will be $38.00.)

June 18, 1906

A hail storm breaks windows, ruins fruit and vegetable crops, and terrifies horses. The brief storm, with thunder, lightning, and hail stones as large as hen eggs, terrifies horses. An observer at the newspaper office reports seeing five or six horses, hitched to delivery wagons or buggies, running in various directions as fast as their legs would carry them.

June 19, 1985

The tax rate is increasing for the first time in 14 years. City council members have worked long and hard to avoid raising taxes, but, according to an editorial in the News and Record, the choice is clear. The City either has to increase taxes, cut services, or postpone capital expenditures, spending even more for these purchases in some future year.

June 20, 1888

The Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad completes its line from Greensboro to Mt. Airy. The passenger and mail run to Mt. Airy takes 4 hours and 15 minutes, but the passenger and freight run takes seven hours.

June 21, 1934

Meyer’s Department Store is having a vacation sale, with women’s bathing suits for $1.95 and cakes of soap ranging from 4 cents to 9 cents each.

June 21, 1977

Greensboro Hospital, a 100-bed hospital in the Humana chain, is now open. This for-profit hospital, located on Pembroke Road, charges $73 per day for private rooms and $67 for semi-private ones. Its special pampering for patients includes wine with dinner. Charles Kuralt was the speaker at the dedication. In 1988, Moses Cone Hospital will buy Greensboro Hospital and eventually will convert it to Women’s Hospital.

June 22, 1995

Greensboro Jaycees are voted the best chapter in the nation at the 75th National Convention held in the St. Louis Convention Center. This is the fourth time that Greensboro has won the national award. The chapter is the largest in the United States and sponsors about 200 projects, including the Christmas parade and the GGO.

June 23, 1961

Greensboro’s highest recorded sustained wind speed, 63.4 miles per hour, occurs at midnight. On May 25, 2000, the wind speed will be even higher, at 81.8 miles per hour, but that will be a gust, not a sustained speed.

June 24, 1996

Greensboro hosts the Olympic flame briefly as it passes through the downtown area on its way to the ’96 Olympic Games in Atlanta. The curbs are packed with spectators, who watch the flame pass by in the hands of a number of community heroes, hand-to-hand, and then out of town by bicycle on its way to Winston-Salem and High Point.

June 25, 1955

Can ham radio operators communicate during emergencies? Today a nationwide test begins, with hams working in shifts for 24 hours to contact as many radio stations as possible. Thirty or 40 local people are participating in this important experiment.

June 26, 1963

The Post Office begins using ZIP Codes. The new computer technology has produced a vast flood of business mail, and this tremendous volume of mail and the high cost of manpower to handle it have made more efficient technology necessary. While the Post Office assigns a five-digit code to every address in the nation, use of the ZIP Code is optional at this time. In 1967, the Post Office will require mailers to presort second- and third-class bulk mail to presort by ZIP code.

June 27, 1934

Screening for tuberculosis is going on at L. Richardson Hospital. Efforts to get the public involved in the fight against this terrible disease began in Greensboro in 1909, with the first local sale of Christmas Seals in the following year. The county’s tuberculosis sanatorium opened near Greensboro in 1923.

June 28, 1937

It’s a hot, humid day in Greensboro, and 1400 swimmers cool off in Lake Sloan at Greensboro Country Park. Despite a early-evening thundershower, the crowd sets a new record. It’s also a good day for boating, with 123 boat rentals, averaging about four people per boat. Many others visit the park, some of them attending a concert. 

June 29, 1857

Moses Cone is born in Jonesboro, Tennessee. He will become president of the Cone textile enterprises based in Greensboro, including the Revolution Mill, built in 1899, which will become the world’s largest flannel mill. His philanthropy, as well as his manufacturing enterprise, will contribute greatly to the development of the City.

June 30, 1830

An exciting announcement appears in the local newspaper, Greensboro Patriot. Tippoo Sultan, a ten-foot-high elephant weighing ten thousand pounds, will be the chief attraction in a traveling show. The mighty Tippoo will place his keeper upon his four-foot-long tusks, hurl the man 12 or 14 feet into the air, and catch him on his tusks and trunk, concluding the act by tossing him again into the air and catching him safely upon his back. A resident can marvel at this daring feat, see a Brazilian tiger, and enjoy Dandy Jack riding his pony, all accompanied by music, for only 25 cents.