On this day in history...
Greensboro Public Library and Historical Museum offer interesting facts to familiarize you with our rich history. From big occasions to everyday occurrences, you'll find a daily dose of times gone by. Enjoy these, and if you have an opportunity to use them on your own project, please credit the Library and Museum as your source.
July 1, 1998
VF Corporation moves its world headquarters from Pennsylvania to Greensboro, and top corporate staff members move into their offices in the Central Carolina Bank Building at Green Valley Road and Benjamin Parkway. The move brings the top managers closer to VF’s Jeanswear Coalition, based in Greensboro. VF, a Fortune 500 company, is one of the world’s largest apparel producers, making Wrangler, Lee, and other brands of jeans, as well as Healthtex clothing for children.July 2, 1849
The Greensboro Fire Company is organized. The October 6 issue of the local newspaper, the Patriot, will praise the company for its equipment and engine house but sadly note that it is lacking adequate water and enough firemen. The newspaper recommends large cisterns to provide water sufficient for the town’s needs.
July 3, 1919
A new company, Carolina Steel Corporation, is founded. Due to industrial expansion and population growth, there is a need for structural steel, which is stronger and less expensive than other materials and can be used in almost any type of construction. Greensboro is convenient to construction sites throughout the Carolinas and southern Virginia.July 4, 1947
Members of a family living in the Kirkwood neighborhood decide to do something special for the 4th of July this year. They march around the block, holding flags and pulling wagons. The Kirkwood parade will become an annual event, with residents flying large flags along the parade route.July 5, 1958
Andy Griffith becomes an honorary citizen of Greensboro. The mayor presents him with a certificate before his appearance at the Carolina Theater, which is showing his movie “No Time for Sergeants.” He has dinner at the Plantation Supper Club with its manager, Fred Koury, noting that in the past he performed there three times.July 6, 1933
Four thousand people attend the dedication of the new post office building on West Market Street, later known as the Federal Building. The U. S. Postmaster General, James. Farley, encourages these citizens with a hopeful speech about Franklin Roosevelt’s plans to help the nation recover from the Depression.July 7, 1830
William Swaim, editor of the Greensborough Patriot, is advertising for his apprentice, who ran away and apparently is seeking work as a journeyman printer. Swaim offers two and a half cents to anyone who delivers the young man to his office, and 25 cents to anyone who puts the runaway in jail. Swaim says that the apprentice voluntarily entered a three-year contract and that the only possible cause for his running away is that Swaim gave him a “moderate and reasonable flogging.”July 8, 1991
Greensboro Beautiful, Inc. completes a new garden and dedicates it to the City of Greensboro. The Bog Garden on Hobbs Road provides an informal setting for enjoying a wetland with a variety of plants and birds. Over the years, volunteers will rescue many plants from construction sites and relocate them to this garden.July 9, 1995
The Greensboro Swimming Association wins the 40th annual Wrangler/Triad Freightliner Eastern Invitational swim meet at the Lindley Pool. Thirteen- and fourteen-year-old girls help the GSA to defeat all opponents, including the second-place Winston-Salem YMCA team.July 10, 2001
The American Red Cross offers a training course for 11-to-15-year-olds who wish to become babysitters. The skills which they will learn include basic child care, safety and first aid. Each student will bring a doll, perhaps to practice changing diapers.July 11, 1889
Greensboro’s new city charter states that the Board of Aldermen can appoint a police force, with as many policemen as the good government of the city requires. R. M. Reese is the first Chief of Police, with four policemen to assist him. They work 12 hours on-duty and 12 hours off, with no days off, and they wear navy blue uniforms with overcoats and tall felt hats.July 11, 1851
Greensboro citizens celebrate the first day of work on the North Carolina Railroad. Calvin Graves moves the first shovels of dirt. This is an appropriate honor for the man who, as president of the North Carolina Senate, broke a tie vote to approve the venture.
July 12, 1905
Mary Webb Nicholson, born on this date, grew up on Walker Avenue and spent much of her adulthood pursuing her love of flying. In 1929 she became the first woman in North Carolina to earn a pilot’s license; later she was a charter member of the Carolina Aero Club as well as the women-only Ninety-Nines aviation organization. In 1942 Nicholson was one of only 25 women accepted into the British ATA program, flying new planes from their factories to RAF bases. When Nicholson’s single-engine plane developed mechanical problems in the spring of 1943, a fatal crash resulted. Mary Nicholson is buried in New Garden Cemetery.
July 13, 1972
Greensboro has a new way of banking, an automated teller machine. That’s right, you no longer need to go to a bank teller. The modern type of American-made ATM was just invented four years ago, which makes Greensboro banks very up-to-date! ATM’s will not become common until the 1980s.July 14, 1954
This is the hottest day in 26 years, with a temperature of 106 degrees recorded at the Woman’s College physics lab. Other local areas record slightly lower temperatures. Two people suffer from heat prostration, and the unusual heat causes many air conditioning units to fail.July 15, 1957
Greensboro Public Library ends the last vestiges of Jim Crow practices, as the city council unanimously votes to adopt the library board’s statement: “The facilities of the Greensboro Public Library are available to any citizen of Guilford County who can present satisfactory identification.” The city has had a dual library system for decades, and until this ruling, African-American residents used the Carnegie Negro Library but had to make interlibrary loan requests for books from the larger Greensboro Public Library.July 16, 2003
The Guilford County Schools offer the Patriot Camp to provide leadership training to about sixty academically gifted high school students and to improve their performance on the SAT. The three-week camp encourages students to test their limits in various ways, such as overcoming a fear of heights, building rockets, or acting in a play.July 17, 2007
The City Council unanimously names the white oak the city’s official tree. The city’s advisory commission on trees recommended the selection of the white oak because it can live for several hundred years, grows more than 100 feet tall, and is an outstanding shade tree. On a hot day, a person standing under a white oak can enjoy temperatures lowered by as much as 9 degrees. Also, one mature white oak can absorb the pollution from thousands of miles of automobile driving.July 18, 1909
The Greensboro Daily News publishes its first issue. It is organized from the remains of the Daily Industrial News, a Republican newspaper that failed after three years because most local residents are Democrats. Since part of the agreement is that the new paper will not become an entirely Democratic publication, it plans to be an independent paper.July 19, 1841
A public school called the Greensborough Free School opens in the home of teacher Thomas F. Beattie. Every Greensboro youth from 5 to 21 years old is eligible to attend. Although this particular school will disappear from the newspaper after this first announcement, other public schools will follow.July 20, 1900
Oranges are on sale for 40 cents a dozen. This price makes them real luxury items when you consider that the average United States worker’s salary is $200 to $400 per year.
July 21, 1926
A newspaper advertisement lists a 5-room cottage in the Glenwood neighborhood for sale for $2500. Building in this area of town began in 1906. Since an electric streetcar line came to the neighborhood in 1907, there has been steady growth, including a commercial district near the streetcar stop at Grove Street and Glenwood Avenue. Although Glenwood is part of the city of Greensboro, its mailing address is Glenwood, North Carolina.July 22, 1924
The newspaper advertises a 5-room bungalow in the Piedmont Heights area for sale for $2950. This 1908 suburb will later be considered as part of the Glenwood neighborhood.July 23, 1942
The Chamber of Commerce asks citizens to entertain soldiers this weekend. Each family can select the soldier of its choice, and the first volunteers can invite members of the infantry band playing at a King Cotton Hotel dance. Greensboro will provide the soldiers with a wonderful weekend of baseball, movies, golf, tennis, swimming, and attending local worship services. A military camp will open here the next year, bringing tens of thousands of soldiers to town.July 24, 1967
The World Conference of Friends, with 1300 delegates, opens at Guilford College. Members of the Society of Friends, also known as Quakers, have lived here since the mid-1700s. The Greensboro Daily News editorial praises the group for its deep principles and humaneness.July 25, 1960
After almost six months of sit-in protests by hundreds of students and residents, the Woolworth and Kress stores on South Elm Street quietly integrate their lunch counters with no prior announcement. Three Woolworth employees are the first to eat at that store’s lunch counter.July 26, 1846
B. G. Worth is available to take daguerreotype portraits of individuals or families at Gott’s Hotel in downtown Greensboro. This exciting new technique for making portraits was only introduced to North Carolina a few years ago. Hurry, the photographer will not be in Greensboro for very long!July 27, 1967
Fifteen members of Greensboro churches meet at Grace United Methodist Church to discuss ways to reach out to the city’s “forgotten people.” The Inner-City Mission starts its history with only $4,000 in the bank. By 2007, the organization, now called the Greensboro Urban Ministry, will serve 40,000 people a year with its budget of over $2 million. Over 200 Christian and Jewish congregations will support it, and it will receive a top rating for managing its finances.July 28, 1991
Acid rain has damaged trees on Mount Mitchell. Now a project at A&T is attempting to discover the effects of acid rain on crops, and this year, the experiments are on tomatoes. Some plots are irrigated with tap water and others with various levels of acids that create manufactured “acid rain.”July 29, 1955
Girls are bringing a wide variety of dolls to the Greensboro Community Center, where judges will select winners in various categories and then open the exhibit to the public. One three-year-old girl holds a doll larger than she is.July 30, 1930
Baseball stadiums are experimenting with night games, and so far they are drawing good crowds. Night baseball may even become a permanent part of team schedules. War Memorial Stadium in Greensboro hosted its first night game on July 28, when 6,500 people came to see the Patriots play against the Raleigh Caps at fifty cents per ticket for general admission. Unfortunately, the Patriots were defeated 22-6.July 31, 1948
Forty-three new polio patients have entered Greensboro’s makeshift hospital facilities during July, bringing the total of cases reported to 185. Ambulances are bringing patients from 16 counties. With a polio epidemic raging, it seems evident that better facilities must be built. The community, in an outstanding example of cooperation, will rally to finance and build a polio hospital.August 1, 1957
Friendly Shopping Center opens, with more than 25,000 shoppers there on its first day. As almost 2000 drivers compete for the 1300 parking spaces, cars park along nearby roads and traffic backs up for five blocks. The center’s major stores are Belk, Woolworth’s, Eckerd’s, and the Colonial Store. It is too soon to tell if the shopping center will impact the businesses in the downtown shopping district. While there seem to be fewer downtown pedestrians than usual, all parking spaces on Elm Street are filled.August 2, 1908
Twenty-three charter members establish Laughlin Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. Its first meetings will be held in a house on the Whitsett Farms, in Mount Zion A.M.E. Church, and in a brush arbor. (The brush arbor, made from slender trees and brush, provides protection from the sun.) The church will lay the cornerstone for its first building, located on Huffine Mill Road, on August 27, 1911, and the congregation will still be occupying the same location in 2008.
August 3, 1951
The Greensboro Record announces that six women will join the city’s Police Department. They will enforce parking regulations, freeing male policemen for other tasks. This is a huge job, since 25 per cent of vehicles parked at downtown curbs are violating regulations. They will also become expert in the city’s geography so that they can direct motorists to any location in town.August 4, 1976
Carolina Circle Mall opens with 22 stores and with over 50 more expected to open in the months ahead. The mall, located near Highway 29, cost more than $25 million and will provide over 1000 jobs for local residents. The principal stores are Belk, Ivey’s, and Montgomery Ward, and there is an ice skating rink in the center of the mall.August 5, 1859
Greensboro Female College advertises in a local newspaper, The Patriot. Tuition costs $20 a semester, and board, including furnished rooms, washing, fuel, and assistance from servants, costs $50 a semester. Students cannot charge purchases in stores under any circumstances. The college will later accept male students and change its name to Greensboro College.August 6, 1944
Greensboro resident George Preddy, one of World War II’s most outstanding American pilots, wins a record by shooting down six German fighters near Hamburg in about six minutes. He will receive the Distinguished Service Cross, the second highest American reward, for his extraordinary feat. Famous journalist Edward R. Murrow, born in Guilford County, will be the chief announcer for a radio interview with Preddy.August 7, 1869
A total eclipse of the sun occurs between 5 and 7 pm in Greensboro, as well as in Beaufort, New Bern, Raleigh, Charlotte, and nearby areas. The local newspaper, the Greensboro Patriot, explains the proper procedures for viewing the eclipse without damaging one’s eyes.August 8, 1983
The Foundation of Greater Greensboro is incorporated. In 1996 it will change its name to The Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro. Through the years, it will provide grants to strengthen the community. A major project in 2008 will be Impact Greensboro, a unique leadership program to help citizens learn about local issues and find new solutions to community problems.August 9, 1987
NCCJ, or The National Conference for Community and Justice, begins its first Anytown Summer Leadership program for young people, co-sponsored by the Greensboro and Charlotte chapters. The program provides an opportunity to live with a diverse group of high school students, practice leadership skills, and explore a variety of issues.August 10, 1976
Staff members from Mademoiselle magazine discuss college fashions and hold a fashion show at Ivey’s in Carolina Circle Mall. Quilted vests, jeans stuffed into boots, camping and hiking clothes, tweeds, flannels, pin stripes, blazers, and, of course, denim are in style. Members of the audience can’t guess that Mademoiselle will cease publication in 2001 but that these fashions will still be popular in 2008.August 10, 1942
The Greensboro Daily News and Greensboro Record urge everyone to conserve gasoline, using even less than the amount which wartime rationing would allow, leaving more fuel oil available for heating homes. Every family should join with neighbors for shopping trips, following the slogan, “There’s not an empty back seat shopper in our neighborhood.” August 11, 1975
UNCG is bursting at the seams, with over 9,000 students, but will still maintain a ratio of one teacher for every 14.5 students. By 2008, the university will have over 16,000 students.August 12, 2006
A ribbon-cutting ceremony marks the opening of Willow Oaks, a new neighborhood with several types of affordable housing: single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments. The attractive development replaces Morningside Homes, the site of the fatal Klan-Nazi shootings. A Hope VI federal grant paid $23 million towards development of the new neighborhood.August 13, 1928
For the first time, the Carolina Theatre shows a talking motion picture. Each of the three showings is packed, with every seat taken and many standing in the aisles. Frequently loud applause drowns out the film’s dialogue. Many viewers come from neighboring towns, and automobiles fill the downtown streets. The feature film for this exciting occasion is “Glorious Betsy,” set in the antebellum south.August 14, 1830
The Methodists lay the cornerstone for Greensboro’s first church building. The two-story brick building is located at 318 South Elm Street and has an upstairs gallery for black worshipers. Peter Doub is the congregation’s minister.
August 15, 1888
New Garden Boarding School becomes Guilford College. For some time, the school’s trustees and faculty have been considering adding a year to the course of study, granting college degrees to the school’s graduates, and changing the school’s name. The new college is named after Guilford County.August 16, 2007
The Wyndham Classic Golf Tournament, the new name for the golf tournament that began as the Greater Greensboro Open, has its first day at Forest Oaks. The temperature peaks at 98 degrees, with a heat index of 101. While the pros can stand the heat, spectators raise umbrellas or head for the shade. Since Cadillac is the tournament’s official car, there are a lot of Cadillacs at the tournament.August 17, 1960
Presidential candidate Richard Nixon bumps his right knee while getting into a car during a campaign stop in Greensboro. Doctors will tell him that he has a serious infection and must enter a hospital to receive massive shots of antibiotics. This accident will force him to miss about two weeks of campaigning, interrupt his writing of campaign statements and speeches and possibly affect his performance during his historic debate with John F. Kennedy.August 18, 1949
WFMY becomes the first North Carolina television station to transmit live broadcasts. Announcer Don Hardison’s deep voice gives the first live announcement. Reception is excellent from as far away as Blowing Rock, ninety miles from Greensboro.August 18, 2006: Author and historian Burke Davis, Jr. dies. Best known for his Civil War works (all of which remain in print), he also wrote biographies and books for young readers. Davis’s long career produced 47 books. He won many awards, including the 1959 Mayflower Cup award for best nonfiction and the 1973 North Carolina Award for literature. August 19, 1965
The Guilford Industrial Education Center first enrolled students in August 1958. Now, after its reorganization under the name of Guilford Technical Institute, the school is formally dedicated in a ceremony on its campus east of Jamestown. It offers vocational students a one-year non-degree program and will add a two-year program for a degree in Applied Science. Later it will change its name to Guilford Technical Community College, or GTCC, and establish a campus in Greensboro.
August 20, 1920
The American-Southern Motors Corporation produces its first “American Balanced Six” automobile, often called the “Smile Car.” The company, whose advertising slogan is “Miles of Smiles,” is affiliated with American Motors Corporation of Plainfield, New Jersey and was formed to produce this car for a southern clientele. It is located near North Elm Street, in the area where Moses Cone Hospital will later be built. Greensboro will not become the Detroit of the South, however—the company will manufacture only one of its sporting luxury cars, named the VAUGHN, and will leave the city in 1922.August 21, 1960
Direct dialing is now available for long distance calls. This means that Greensboro telephone users no longer have to ask an operator to dial the numbers for them. Direct dialing is really fast—one local call went through to Anchorage, Alaska in 10 seconds. The Greensboro Daily News gives complete instructions for using this exciting new technology.August 22, 1872
The New North State, a local Republican newspaper, endorses Ulysses S. Grant for president. Although North Carolina was fighting for the Confederacy a little over seven years ago, some local residents support the Union general. The paper quotes Horace Greeley’s comments about Grant: “He has never yet been defeated and never will be. He will be as great and successful on the field of politics as on that of arms.” By the 21st century, history’s verdict will not be so favorable to Grant’s political achievements.August 23, 2006
The Elon University School of Law holds its first classes at 201 N. Greene Street, once the home to the public library. A $6 million renovation has created a large courtroom, full wireless Internet access, and a two-story law library. This is one of the few law schools housing a working court--the North Carolina Business Court.August 24, 1929
Three Greensboro fishermen land a huge turtle at Lake Brandt after quite a struggle. The creature, supposedly the largest turtle ever caught in Guilford County, weighs 32 pounds and five ounces. The fishermen’s secret was a trot line baited with choice beef, and one of the men is planning to prepare a turtle feast.August 25, 1824
David Caldwell dies at the age of 99. Since his arrival in Guilford County in 1765, Caldwell has made a difference as a Presbyterian minister, physician, educator, and political leader. Prior to the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in 1781, Caldwell had to go into hiding from the British troops. Afterwards he cared for the wounded of both sides. He and his wife Rachel founded a preparatory school which taught classics and theology to young men. Part of their farm will later be known as Bicentennial Park.
August 26, 1995
The Women’s Resource Center opens in the historic Ireland House on Friendly Avenue. It will offer many programs to assist women, including job training, a free attorney hotline, a library for women’s issues, and a barter board where women can exchange information. Ten years later, it will be helping more than 6,000 women each year, and its programs will have greatly expanded. In 2003, it will move to a new building on Summit Avenue.August 27, 1956
The Carolina Theatre is playing “High Society,” starring Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong. A color cartoon and newsreel accompany the film. Admission on the main floor is 75 cents on nights and Saturdays for adults, 50 cents for students, and 15 cents for children. Seating is segregated by race, and balcony seats designated for African-Americans cost 60 cents for adults on nights and Saturdays, 25 cents for students, and 15 cents for children.
August 28, 1905
Enjoy a solid week of merriment at Lindley Park, with entertainment by an opera, vaudeville and comedy company. The programs will include ballads, opera, and a farce comedy. Attend one of the dances, and if you don’t know how to dance, you can take dancing lessons. Vote for the most popular lady in Greensboro, who will win a solid gold watch. The cost of an evening of fun is 25 cents for the most expensive ticket.August 29, 1990
The Greensboro Historical Museum dedicates its new wing, which Director Bill Moore calls “a $1.6 million bargain.” 1985 bond funds combined with a capital campaign drive paid for two exhibit galleries, a lecture hall, meeting room, classroom, and an elevator helpful for visitors with special needs.August 30, 1852
Quaker activist Mary Mendenhall Hobbs is born near Jamestown. She will become an outstanding student at New Garden Boarding School and later at a school in New York State. Devoted to the idea of education for women, she will teach Latin and history at New Garden and also help to raise funds. After marrying fellow educator Lyndon Hobbs, she will expand her activism to a wide variety of causes including lobbying to bring a public college for women to town.
August 31, 1886
At around 10 p.m. terrified Greensboro residents run into the streets as their houses begin to shake and bricks fall from buildings. They learn that the city has been damaged by the aftershocks of a devastating 7.3 earthquake in Charleston, some 300 miles away. A local architect recommends that the Lindsay Street Graded School, built in the 1870s, be torn down and rebuilt.
September 1, 1873
At the opening of the Superior Court, Judge Albion Tourgee gives his listeners a historical sketch of Guilford County’s courthouses. The Union veteran and Republican activist has earned many enemies in his new home town because of his involvement in the constitutional convention and support for the rights of African-Americans. Tourgee will later write a best-selling novel, A Fool’s Errand, about his experiences. Still fighting for racial equality in 1896, he will write an argument against segregation in the Supreme Court case Plessy v. Ferguson, an argument that will lose.September 2, 1995
Dr. Patricia Sullivan, former vice president of academic affairs at Texas Woman’s University, becomes UNCG’s first female chancellor. She believes that women at all-female schools perform better academically and develop stronger leadership skills than they would in coed colleges. The university will add many new majors and programs during her time in office.September 3, 1957
Greensboro becomes the first city in the Southeast to desegregate one of its public schools. Five African-American children have entered previously all-white Gillespie Park School. The children endure heckling as they go through the halls on the way to their classrooms and as they leave the school, but there is no violence.September 4, 1957
Josephine Boyd enters Greensboro Senior High (later named Grimsley) as the school’s first African-American student. Josephine, an honor student while at Dudley High School, will graduate in the top ten percent of her class. In 1995 she will complete her dissertation about school desegregation and her experiences.September 5, 1901
The Guilford Battle Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution is organized. It will be chartered on February 22, 1902. The organization promotes patriotism and the learning and preservation of American history. Membership is open to women who can prove they are descendants of patriots of the American Revolution.September 6, 1996
A weakened Hurricane Fran brings floods and high winds to Greensboro. Local tobacco farmers lose from 5 to 15 percent of their crops due to water and wind damage. Five-foot-deep water surrounds R. & R Transportation’s company trucks. An enterprising Ohio salesman arrives with a truck loaded with generators to sell to folks without electricity.September 7, 1903
Greensboro holds its first Labor Day celebration. Thousands of people watch a parade, led by mounted police followed by bands, floats, labor union members, firemen, and the Gate City Guards. Later citizens listen to speeches in Lindley Park.September 8, 1960
Fall classes begin at Immanuel Lutheran College, a high school, junior college, and seminary for African-American students. The East Market Street school moved to Greensboro in 1905. Now, facing declining enrollments and financial difficulties, it will close at the end of the school year.September 9, 1974
The Russian basketball team plays the Americans in a 67-66 cliffhanger that keeps the attention of the Coliseum crowd. David Thompson of N.C. State wins the game for the United States by making two free throws with only 57 seconds left on the clock.September 10, 1873
The Richmond and Danville passenger train leaves northbound at 8:15 pm and southbound to Salisbury and Charlotte at 11:38 pm.
September 10, 1873
W. C. Porter & Co., wholesale and retail druggists located on South Elm Street, advertise a complete stock of many items, including paints and domestic and foreign wines and liquors. Their ad makes it clear that the wines and liquors are for medical use. In a few years, William Sydney Porter, later to be known as the writer O. Henry, will begin working for his uncle, who owns the store.
William Sydney Porter is born. He will attend a one-room schoolhouse run by his aunt and later work in his uncle’s South Elm Street drugstore. At the age of twenty, he will leave Greensboro, eventually landing in New York, where he will earn national fame for his sentimental short stories with surprise endings.September 12, 1954
Greensboro has had no significant rain for months and is suffering from its first drought in modern history. Water levels in the city’s three reservoirs are dropping. Since water rationing has not solved the problem, the city council has hired a professional rainmaker, who promises to produce up to 400,000,000 gallons of rain in 60 days by seeding clouds with iodide crystals. On October 15, the drought will end, thanks to Hurricane Hazel rather than to the rainmaker.
September 13, 1997
The 99th Greensboro Agricultural Fair opens at the Coliseum. Local residents compete in three new categories: best apple pie, tastiest watermelon, and decorated fruits and vegetables.September 14, 2002
A Guilford County Veterans Memorial is dedicated at Country Park. The memorial, overlooking a lake, features a stone obelisk, plaques with quotations from soldiers’ letters, and bricks inscribed with names of local war veterans.
September 14, 1952
Our Lady of Grace Church dedicates its magnificent new building. Julian Price chose to model the church after one in Brooklyn, and he and his children funded it in memory of his wife and their mother, Ethel Clay Price.
September 15, 1976
There is a dedication ceremony for David Caldwell Historic Park. David Caldwell (1725-1824), a distinguished minister, educator, and physician, once owned the land where the Hobbs Road park now stands. David and Rachel Caldwell raised a family here, ran a farm, and founded a preparatory school for young men.
September 15, 1915
A New York Herald article proclaims that villages built by the Cone family are “the world’s model.” The textile mill owners built communities so that their employees would have inexpensive housing near their workplace. The Cones also contribute to schools for employees’ children and to church building funds and have established baby clinics to help young mothers.
The first African-American school crossing guard hired by the Police Department begins work. Johnnie Bowden puts on her navy blue and white uniform, grabs her octagonal sign, and heads to the corner of Gorrell and East Streets to assist Washington School students. She will continue in the job for 23 years.September 17, 1963
The Greensboro Redevelopment Commission approves plans for redeveloping the Warnersville neighborhood. If the plan is approved by the Planning Board, City Council, and Urban Renewal Administration, the 197 families in the area will be relocated prior to the redevelopment work.
September 18, 1924
One hundred lots are for sale near Cornwallis Road. According to the developer, the area is perfect for the man of moderate means who wants to provide his family a home with every desirable feature, including gas, water, and lights. Its location near Irving Park and Kirkwood assures that it will always be a high-class neighborhood. The minimum cost of homes to be built in the area will be $3500.September 19, 1955
The Newcomers Club meets today. The club, organized in 1954, is a social club helping new residents to make friends. The members cannot even imagine the club as it will be in 2008, with its 22 special interest groups ranging from bowling to theatre and from quilting to bunco.September 20, 1977
United Services of Older Adults is incorporated. This agency sponsors a wide range of federal, state and locally funded programs assisting older adults to remain independent and involved in the community. In 2001, it will change its name to Senior Resources of Guilford.
September 20, 1985
The Greensboro Area Convention and Visitors Bureau opens. Its mission is to market and sell our hospitality industry’s assets for the maximum economic impact. In 2006, Guilford County tourism generated $1,025,510,000 worth of expenditures.
Earth Wind and Fire, one of the most popular and critically acclaimed funk bands of the 1970s, performs to a full house at the Coliseum. The members of the audience probably do not guess that the band, founded in 1969, will still be performing in 2008. One reason for the band’s longevity may be its incorporation of so many music genres into its performances.
September 22, 1935
The World Peace Symposium attracts crowds to the courthouse. This meeting commemorates the signing of the 1928 World Peace Pact, an agreement that nations will choose only peaceful means to solve their disputes.
September 23, 1908
Petty-Reid Co. advertises farm equipment for sale. Two-horse wagons are $30.00 and up, disc harrows are $15.00 and up, and two-horse plows are selling for $5.00 and up. Also, the company is selling fertilizer at cost.September 24, 1936
The Greensboro Jaycees receive their state charter at a presentation at the King Cotton Hotel. The young men organizing the club wish to improve city life and increase commerce. By 2008, the organization’s mission will be to offer both men and women ages 21-39 the opportunity to become community leaders.September 25, 1953
WFMY launches a new show, “What’s Cooking Today with Cordelia Kelly.” Kelly teaches her devoted viewers how to prepare such recipes as grated sweet potato pudding, crabmeat ala Greensboro Country Club, hamburger corn-pone pie and election day cake.September 26, 1904
Are you ready for a fall vacation? To enjoy the greatest exhibition ever seen, take the Norfolk and Western Railway to the World’s Fair in St. Louis. The round trip excursion rate is only $17.00 per person. You can enjoy meals in the train’s dining car as you ride.September 27, 1922
A Lions Club chapter is formed in Greensboro, with Samuel H. Hodgin as its president. The club will take helping the blind and others with eye problems as its major project. It will furnish glasses to people who cannot afford them and in 1934 will establish the Guilford Industries for the Blind, which hires blind persons for manufacturing work.September 28, 1911
The nation’s first official piece of air mail is delivered to the Greensboro postmaster. Sent from New York by postal inspector T. M. Reddy to his friend postmaster Robert D. Douglas, the text reads, “This is the first piece of mail ever dispatched by aeroplane in the United States. Best wishes for your welfare and prosperity.”September 29, 1922
Greensboro will soon get its first electric traffic signal at Jefferson Square in the heart of downtown. The words “Stop” and “Go” will show from all four directions, and colored lights, red for “stop” and green for “go,” will make the sign visible at night. A traffic officer stationed in an elevated stand above the sidewalk will press a button to operate the sign. If this newfangled gadget doesn’t work, the city manager promises to have it removed.
September 30, 1959
A new restaurant called McDonald’s has opened on Summit Avenue, with hamburgers as its specialty. Service is fast, there are no car hops, and you’ll never have to tip. Hamburgers are only 15 cents each, and you can eat a delicious meal of a hamburger, a milkshake, and French fries for 45 cents or feed a family of five for $2.25. Come on and try this new eating experience!