This is the former home of John Motley Morehead, North Carolina’s governor from 1841 to 1845. He is especially noted for his advocacy of railroads in the state and for making sure that Greensboro was served by rail, which was an important factor in Greensboro’s growth.
Part of the house was built in the 1790’s, before Greensboro’s establishment in 1808. Another part was built no later than 1822. In 1844, the outstanding architect Alexander Jackson Davis redesigned the house, making it the first Tuscan-style dwelling in North Carolina.
In Morehead’s day, this was one of the finest homes in the South and Union generals stayed in the house during the Civil War. They notified the mayor that they would occupy the largest house in town until their headquarters were ready. In response, ex-governor Morehead graciously received them as his guests.
At a later date, it was occupied by the Keeley Institute for the treatment of alcoholism and drug addiction.
The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark. It now serves as headquarters for the Greensboro Preservation Society and is maintained by the Blandwood Guild. Tours are available.
More Guilford County, North Carolina History:
Greensboro History Museum
Guide to Guilford: History
Historic Guilford Photos