The Odell Hardware Company, one of Greensboro's leading businesses at the time, occupied 325 and 327 South Elm St. in downtown Greensboro. The first two stories of 327 South Elm were built around 1885 as the original showroom and offices of Odell Hardware. As the company expanded, it constructed a narrow three story building at 325 South Elm in 1901 to house the company's offices.
The original Odell Hardware Company's building at 325 South Elm St. be the oldest surviving structure in downtown Greensboro. It has been greatly changed and expanded over the years, with the original facade restored in the early 1980s.