How Do You...?
If you do not see your question and answer here, please contact us by phone, e-mail, or chat, any time of the day or night.
- Get a library card?
- Replace a lost library card?
- Get a new PIN or change your PIN?
- Make online payments?
- Find a book?
- Renew a book?
- Reserve a book?
- Reserve a computer?
- Print from a wireless device?
- Research a topic?
- Interlibrary loan?
- Download Audiobooks and e-Books?
- Find job information?
- Start a business?
- Suggest a purchase?
- Reserve a meeting room?
- Volunteer at the library?
- Become a Friend of the Library?
- Print using debit/credit card at the Library?
More Frequently Asked Questions
- What are our operating hours?
- What is a PIN?
- What is the holiday schedule?
- What are the fines for materials returned late or damaged?
- When is story time offered?
How do you get a library card?
To apply for a library card, you must show a photo ID with your current address or a photo ID and something that has your current address such as a checkbook or piece of mail. Children 17 and younger must have a parent or guardian sign for their library card. See details on checking out materials.
How do you replace a lost library card?
You can receive a replacement card at any library location by presenting a valid photo ID. We all lose a card sometime - it is no big deal. Don't go without! Replacement cards cost $1.
If you do not know your PIN, please visit any library location and bring a photo ID with you. A staff member will assign a new PIN of your choice to your account. If you know your PIN and want to change it, please follow these steps:
• Step 1 - Browse your account online.
• Step 2 - Log in with your library barcode and current PIN code
• Step 3 - Click on Profile (towards the bottom of the screen) and follow the link provided to change your PIN.
How do you find a book?
Search for titles, subjects, and authors using the library catalog system, Horizon, available remotely through the library's website. Once you have found an item, you can locate it on the shelves using the Call Number. If an item is at another location, you can have it delivered to a specific branch. If an item is currently checked out, it can be reserved for you when it is next available.
How do you reserve a book?
If an item is currently unavailable, you can reserve it by clicking on "Request Next Available Item" in the item record.
- Step 1 - Locate the item in the online catalog.
- Step 2 - Browse to the last screen of the record.
- Step 3 - Click on "Request Next Available Item."
You will be instructed to enter your library card number and PIN. By default, the item will be sent to the location where you got your card. A library staff member will be glad to assist you with this process.
• A PIN (Personal Identification Number) is a 4 digit security feature that helps increase the security of your library account.
• You should keep your PIN in a safe place, like you would your ATM PIN so that other people cannot access your account.
• The default PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number we have on file for you or 5555 if we don’t have a number for you. To ensure your privacy, you should change it to a code you pick yourself.
How do you renew a book?
You can renew your books by calling any library location or by browsing your account online. You will be instructed to enter your library card number and PIN. Click on "Items Out," check the title you want to renew, and then click on "Renew."
You can also renew your books over the phone by calling 336-412-6335 and following the prompts.
How do you reserve a computer?
Computers at every location are available first-come, first-served. If all computers are in use, you may "get in line" by signing up at a designated reservation station. There are close to 200 computers available at the downtown Central Library. You can usually get on within an hour, if you have to wait at all. Find more information about our use policy, software, and time limits.
The library offers wireless printing from your laptop PC, Apple/Mac, or wireless device. Read these Instructions for Wireless Printing from within the library or from home.
How do you research a topic?
Information on any topic can be found a number of ways at the library:
- Search the library catalog using subject keywords.
- Search for articles in indexes of magazine and newspaper articles.
- Search the Internet using a search engine like Google.
- Browse library shelves for related information using the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ask a librarian at any location for assistance. Any librarian would love to help you.
How do you make an interlibrary loan request?
To request a loan from a library outside the Greensboro Public Library system (called an "interlibrary loan"), click on the "Books & Reading" link on our home page, then the "Interlibrary Loan" link, and fill out the form. You can also request an interlibrary loan form at any of our branches. Questions? Please call the Information Services Desk at Central Library at 336-335-5430.
View instructions for downloading Audiobooks and e-Books to your e-reader, Nook, Kindle, Nook App and the Kindle Fire App. View instructions for using the new catalog and the BookMyne app to download items from OverDrive.How do you find job information?
The library subscribes to the JobLink service from the North Carolina Employment Security Commission. You can access this listing from each computer inside our locations. You can find links to other local, statewide and national job listing services in the Career and Jobs section of our website.
How do you start a business?
The Business Advantage Collection is located on the second floor of the Central Library. Here you will find the information and tools you need to research an idea, develop a plan, build an enterprise, market a product, manage financials and more. Monthly classes are offered on a range of topics for the new and experienced entrepreneur. Check out the Business Advantage website for details.
How do you suggest a purchase?
We are committed to developing a collection of materials that serves the needs and interests of the community. We welcome your suggestions for additions. Please use this online form.
How do you reserve a meeting room?
Free meeting space is available at each our our branch locations. Contact the branch by telephone to inquire about availability. Central Library offers meeting spaces for a fee. See details for room reservation.
How do you volunteer at the library?
Want to share your time and talent with the public library? Learn more here.
How do you become a Friend of the Library?
Friends of the Greensboro Public Library is a grassroots organization that supports the organization with volunteers, advocacy, and funding for programming. Membership is as little as $10 per year. Benefits include email updates and member's only invitations to special events. Visit the Friends of the Library website for more information.
How do you print using a debit/credit card at the library?
When using a Debit Card\Credit Card a hold of $10 will be placed on the card for printing, the remaining funds will not be released from the hold for up to 48 hours. Each time you use your card it will place a $10 hold on the card. For example, if you print a five page document and use your credit card, it puts a $10 hold on your card. Then 20 minutes later you decide to print a four page document it will put on another $10 hold. The balance of the funds will be released after 48 hours. Be sure to ask the library staff should you have any questions.